If you do not own a cable box or a set-top box to receive digital television signals but still want to be able to watch high-definition programming, then you will need a TV with a built-in HD tuner. After setting up the television, you can begin using its built-in HD antenna to receive free high-definition frequencies over the air without an external tuner.
1. Plug your television into a standard electrical outlet and use the remote control to turn it on.
2. Use the remote to access the TV’s main menu, and look for a setting called “Channel Setup.”
3. Choose the “Air and Cable” option and then have the TV begin searching for available channels. The television will now scan the airwaves with its built-in high definition tuner for local HD over-the-air channels.
4. Press the “Source” button on your remote control until you reach the “Cable” source.
5. Press the “Antenna” button on the remote control to switch from the cable feed to the antenna mode. The television will now use its built-in HD tuner to receive over-the-air signals.
6. Use the up and down channel buttons on your remote control to scan the available high-definition frequencies that your television has picked up.